Admissions Newsletter

Why I Picked My Major

Emily Bozogian, Student Blogger

“What are you going to be studying?” That question seems to be a common question that you’ll get asked hundreds of times throughout senior year. If you don’t have a definite answer then that question can be rather annoying. At eighteen-years-old we are supposed to know what we want to do with the rest of our lives. That’s a big decision to have to suddenly make and of course it’s stressful if you just don’t know. When trying to decide what I wanted to do, I jumped between a couple different ideas. Between graphic design, dentistry, and information technology. I grew up telling everyone I wanted to be a graphic designer even though I didn’t have a full understanding of what that entailed.

When it became time to start the college search, I had to look at majors more in depth. In a meeting with my high school counselor, she joked about dentistry but a few days later and that idea was sticking with me. I found myself researching dentistry schools and I met up with my older cousin who has his own practice in NYC. He warned me that it was going to be a lot of long tough schooling but that it would be worth it if that’s what I wanted. After considering that for about a month there became a day where something in my head just told me that it wasn’t for me.

In the meantime, I realized that I have always received compliments on how great I am with technology. Once I realized that, the idea stuck to me and I knew that’s what I wanted to do. The only problem was that technology is just a broad word. Did I want to segment into networking, programing, web designing, etc? Well, I had always been artsy, spent a lot of my free time painting and taking photos. So I thought to myself, why not combine technology and art to become a web designer. I haven’t regretted my decision since the day I made it. So my advice is to go with what feels right to you.