Admissions Newsletter

How I Survived Freshman Year

Emily Bozogian, Student Blogger

Freshman year of college is going to be a bit rough but fun. You’re walking into so many new changes. Between sleeping somewhere else, new people, different food, unfamiliar surroundings, etc. There are going to be a lot of sudden changes but, it’s nothing that you won’t be able to get through.  Even though I was only going to college 30 minutes away from my house, it was still a bit terrifying. Remember, when you’re starting,  everyone is a bit scared and  you’re all going through the same emotions. Here are a few tips on how to get through:

1.Use the Facebook group

This was a great tool to ease me into college and friendships. Throughout the summer before freshman year, I was typically on the group everyday looking at the new posts and chatting with future classmates. I met up with a few of them during the summer and the rest I met when coming to school. It was great already having a basis of new friends.

1. Join a sport or club

Whatever you’re interested in we probably have it here or can start it here. Most majors have their own club. I’m a technology major and our club hadn’t been active for the past 6 years before I came here so I changed that by going to the student government office and proposing a constitution. A semester later and we were officially a club. I like being a part of a club because it connects me with people that have similar interests as me.

1. Time Management

When you get to college, you’re going to have to learn time management. There are going to be a lot more tasks that you have to keep track of and no one is going to be there to push you to do them. One way I keep track of tasks I need to have done is by using an app called Wunderlist.

1. Know how to do Laundry

Seems like a simple thing to do, but every year they’re always seems to be someone in the laundry room that is standing there clueless. They’re either on the phone getting help or they nervously ask you what to do. Knowing how to do this task beforehand, can alleviate a little bit of stress before you get here!

I could keep going on with the tips as there are plenty more but take a deep breathe. You will learn as you go, that’s how I got through it. Just enjoy it because these times of your life sadly won’t last forever and when you’re a senior like me, you will be wishing that you could go back.