Admissions Newsletter

Advice to my Freshman Self

Emily Bozogian, Student Blogger

It’s been a crazy, but fun ride in my years at Morrisville State College. Now that I’m a senior and thinking back about the years, freshman year was definitely no doubt my favorite year. If I could go back to it, I would, but there’s a few things I would tell myself first.

Don’t jump too fast

My first roommate moved out to move in with a girl across the hall. I was upset and left with no one as I came back from class and she wasn’t there. I talked to the residence director of the building and she gave me a list of room numbers of girls who didn’t have a roommate. I went and knocked on the doors but no one answered so I went back around later that night. When someone finally opened their door, we chatted for ten minutes before she was like go get your stuff! I thought it was a great idea and moved everything at 10pm at night. The second I walked in with a box my stuff I realized I should of checked her room out first because it was cluttered and smelled terrible. I ended up only living with that roommate for a couple weeks.

Professors do care

Sometimes in the movies, college professors look mean and scary but that’s not really the case. Most professors do care and want to see you be successful. They are always willing to meet outside of class, give extra help where it’s needed, or just be there to listen. You will grow close to some pretty amazing professors throughout your time at Morrisville and they will help you the best they can to reach your goal as long as effort goes in on your part.

Be open-minded

I wish that I had done a better job of this my first few months of college but I eventually learned. College is going to be so different than high school. You’re going to get exposed to new experiences and new kinds of people but that’s okay! Be open-minded to it and try new things, you will find new hobbies and such out of it!

Relax

I feel like I was so much more uptight about everything in high school. It’s not that good to be stressed about everything all the time. Good and bad situations are going to happen, it’s just part of life. There’s going to be so many changes happening at once but that’s okay just relax.

Just enjoy it the most you can because it’s going to fly by just like high school did. One day you’re going to be sitting here like me and wonder where it all went but there’s different chapters of life and you’ve got to keep moving forward.