Morrisville State College

Admissions Newsletter

MSC Norwich Campus and BOCES partner to offer summer teaching workshops

Chapman, Kenneth P

Chapman, Kenneth P

Franci Valenzano, Public Relations

The Morrisville State College Norwich Campus and DCMO BOCES are partnering to offer a summer teaching workshop, Using Nature and Research in the Classroom, at the Riverbend Golf Course, in New Berlin.

There are three dates to choose from: July 22, July 29 or August 5. Sessions are limited to 15 people.  The workshop, which will be taught by Professor Eric Diefenbacher, of the MSC Norwich Campus, is designed for educators who want to learn modified techniques used in wildlife studies to better engage students in K-12 and AP-related STEM as well as art curriculums.

The techniques presented during this workshop can be easily modified to fit any grade level and outdoor skill level of both student and educator and can be implemented in school courtyards, school grounds, and backyards with proper permission and consideration. Participants are encouraged to wear clothing and shoes acceptable for field experience.

During the workshop, participants will learn and partake in the official and modified versions of wildlife monitoring techniques, evaluate analytical methods based on wildlife technique, and identify and discuss special considerations for students and educators of various outdoor skill levels based on techniques presented.

Modified techniques include but are not limited to: game camera use and analysis, track plates and reading tracks, cover board placement and analysis, dip netting for aquatic invertebrates/vertebrates and analysis, and kick netting in streams for aquatic invertebrates/vertebrates and analysis.

Registration is $50 and includes lunch and course materials. The fee is covered for educators in the DCMO and ONC BOCES region through the Catskill Regional Teacher Center. K-12 educators who complete the workshop will earn 6 CEUs or stipend.

For more information and to register, contact Jason Zbock, Norwich campus executive director, at 607.778.5144, extension 5060.