Morrisville State College

Admissions Newsletter

MSC professor, Clinton resident selected to the New York Council for the Humanities Public Scholars

Franci Valenzano, Public Relations

Morrisville State College professor and Clinton resident Wyatt Galusky has been selected to the New York Council for the Humanities Public Scholars.

Galusky is associate professor and chair of the Humanities Department and coordinator of the science, technology, & society program at MSC.

The newest of the Council’s programs, Public Scholars consists of 31 leading public humanities figures who will travel across New York State delivering presentations that encourage both curiosity and collaborative, informal learning on topics that will be used as a way to explore some aspect of pressing contemporary significance.

“The Public Scholars combine a depth of expertise with a deep commitment to community dialogue and education,” said Sara Ogger, executive director of the New York Council for the Humanities. “The program is at the forefront of a growing public humanities movement.”

Galusky’s research explores the various ways in which technologies mediate between humans and the natural world, including domesticated food animals and public engagement with science and technology. His presentations will include “Technology as Responsibility: Failure, Food Animals, & Lab-grown Meat,” and “The Dream of Total Control: Science Fact, Science Fiction, and the Transformation of the Animal Body.”

Galusky earned a Ph.D. in science & technology Studies from Virginia Tech, and has a master’s degree in environmental ethics from the University of North Texas. Galusky and his wife, Kelly Ann Nugent, live in Clinton.