Morrisville State College

Admissions Newsletter

Morrisville State College partners with Zipcar to offer car sharing on campus

Franci Valenzano, Public Relations Associate

A new transportation option is bringing relief to Morrisville State College faculty, staff and students—and their wallets.

Morrisville State College launched a new partnership with Zipcar, the world’s leading car sharing network, to offer a Zipcar car sharing program on campus.

Zipcar car sharing is an alternative to owning a car that gives members 24/7 access to vehicles parked in convenient locations.  This transportation option is now available at an affordable rate for students, faculty, and staff ages 18 and older, and members of the local community ages 21 and over.

Morrisville will initially offer two vehicles, a Ford Focus and a Ford Escape. The Zipcars have designated parking spots located in a campus lot near the John W. Stewart Student Activities Building (STUAC) for convenient pick-up and return.

Low hourly and daily rates include gas, insurance, and 180 miles of driving per day.

This year, Morrisville members can join for $15, with rates for Zipcar vehicles on campus starting as low as $7.50 per hour and $69 per day. After the first year, members will pay an annual membership fee of $25.

“We are pleased to welcome Zipcar to Morrisville,” said Jennifer Bowden, director of business affairs with the Morrisville Auxiliary Corporation (MAC), which is running the program at MSC. “Zipcar provides the freedom and flexibility for those on and off campus to go to wherever they need to go.”

Whether it is to get groceries, run errands or just to take a drive, Zipcar gives students a cost effective and convenient way to travel,” she added. “It is also a great opportunity for Morrisville State College to continue to make strides in the sustainability area by using this car-sharing model.”

And it’s easy to use too.

Members can reserve cars online or with a smartphone for as little as one hour or multiple days. Morrisville students, faculty and staff can join Zipcar at www.zipcar.com/morrisville.

Participating members with smartphones, including iPhones and Android devices, may download the Zipcar mobile application to make reservations, lock and unlock the vehicles and honk the horn to help locate the vehicle.  Reservations can also be made over the phone or on Zipcar’s website, www.zipcar.com/morrisville.

“The Zipcar program on campus gives students, faculty and staff the freedom of using a car without the hassles of owning one,” said Katelyn Bushey, director of university sales at Zipcar. “We’re happy to partner with Morrisville to provide their community with a transportation option to fit their needs and their wallets.”

Through the new Zipcar program, MSC student organizations also have the opportunity to participate in the “Students with Drive” grant program sponsored by Zipcar and Ford Motor Company. The program provides students with Zipcar membership and driving credit to support student organizations on campus.

Through the “Students with Drive” grant program, Ford and Zipcar will provide $200,000 in grants to be awarded to student organizations at eligible Zipcar colleges and universities. The program is running now through April 2016 and will culminate with a grand prize worth $25,000 in scholarships, cash, and Zipcar driving. For more information and to participate in the program, students can visit www.zipcar.com/studentswithdrive.

Zipcar has established relationships with more than 400 universities across North America. For more information and to become a member of Zipcar at Morrisville, visit www.zipcar.com/morrisville. Additional information and promotions can also be found by following @ZipcarU on Twitter.