Morrisville State College

MSC’s Dr. Devon Branca published in prestigious poetry journal

Ken Chapman, PR/Marketing

Dr. Devon Branca, creative writing and literature professor at Morrisville State College, is an accomplished poet, the co-advisor of the campus’ Writer’s Guild and co-chair of the diversity committee. Recently, one of his poems, “Game Length (Part Two)”, was published in the prestigious Gulf Coast Journal of Literature and Fine Arts. You can read “Game Length (Part Two)” here.

While he has been published in several other literary journals, the Gulf Coast Journal of Literature and Fine Arts was a tough nut to crack for Dr. Branca. He sent them almost every other poem in his manuscript. After several standard rejection letters, he says he started getting some hand-written notes from the editors, who were still rejecting the entries, but encouraging him to send more. Finally, the poem he worked the longest and hardest on was chosen for publication. Getting “Game Length (Part Two)” into the journal was a dream come true for Dr. Branca.

Gulf Coast is a literary journal I have read for a long time. I really always loved it and always wanted to be in it,” he says.

“Game Length (Part Two)” was born out of Dr. Branca’s days as a slam poet. Slam poetry is the art of creating short, impactful poems that come at the reader fast and furiously. This kind of impact is spreading around the Morrisville State campus and into the community.

As a poet, Dr. Branca says he sees every problem as a poetry problem. His No Prize Open Mic nights have found a following with students, faculty and members of the community who come out to share their poems. Poems that tackle tough issues like race relations, gender identity and inequality, bullying and the like.

According to Dr. Branca, creativity has always been a way to examine the complicated world we live in, and he hopes to continue giving the Morrisville State community an outlet for that expression in the years to come.